Tuesday 30 June 2009

I've come to the conclusion that I am never happier than when I am pottering.
It's an art, pottering. And one that I have more or less perfected over the years. People think that to potter is to do nothing, but that's not right. It's perfectly possible to achieve plenty while pottering, but in order to qualify as a potter, the task in question must be fairly low key -think making bread, making yoghurt, making wine - making stuff is good. Or perhaps a little light gardening - watering pot plants, deadheading, pulling a few weeds out of the herb garden, composing a poem, or the next chapter of your novel... you know the kind of thing.
The trick to a good and satisfying potter is not to move too quickly. Tasks should be done in a relaxed and calm way, possibly with a glass of wine to hand, and always to a pleasant background noise. Woman's hour perhaps, or Crooked Still (girl bluegrass band - excellent harmonies). Because the real joy of pottering is its strangely meditative quality, particularly when done in solitude. And if someone happens along mid potter, they are almost always drawn into the chilled atmosphere surrounding the potterer, which of course is highly beneficial to all concerned.
Yesterday I spent at least 2 hours pottering. I achieved lots, including a state of deep tranquility. This is indeed the perfect potter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deborah. I'm looking for a link to your website now, after reading about your retreats but I can't find one. Where can I get more info? Ta x

    ReplyDelete